Summer was great. It was filled with fun trips and lots of get-togethers with friends. And because I never want to show up empty handed, I would fire up the oven in the heat of the Tucson summer and get to baking. I baked these soda fountain inspired cupcakes to a best friend’s baby shower.
2 cups Virgil’s root beer
1 cup dark unsweetened cocoa powder
1 stick unsalted butter, cut into 1-inch pieces
1 1/4 cups granulated sugar
1/2 cup firmly packed dark brown sugar
2 cups all-purpose flour
1 1/4 tsp baking soda
1 tsp salt
2 large eggs (beaten)
Whipped Cream Frosting
2 cup cold heavy whipping cream
1/2 tsp vanilla extract
1/2 tsp root beer (I imagine you could use root beer extract for a more intense flavor if you had it. I did not, so I haven’t tested)
2 tbs granulated sugar
To prepare cupcakes:
- Preheat oven to 350°.
- In a small sauce pan heat butter, root beer and cocoa powder until the butter is melted.
- Combine sugars with mixture in sauce pan. Once throughly whisked, remove from heat. Let cool.
- In large mixing bowl, mix flour, baking soda, and salt.
- Add beaten eggs to root beer/cocoa mixture in saucepan, and whisk until combined.
- Slowly fold in the saucepan mixture with flour mixture. Being careful not to overmix.
- Once mixture if fully combined, fill 24 cupcake liners 2/3 of the way full.
- Bake 15-17 minutes. Let cool completely before topping.
To prepare whipped cream frosting:
- Mix all frosting ingredients in stand mixer.
- Beat until whipped cream consistency has formed.
- Put mixture in piping bag and decorate cupcake tops as desired.
- Top with a maraschino cheery and chocolate sprinkles for extra festiveness!